WHAT IS BAPTISM?
Baptism is a visible symbol of God’s saving work within a person. It is the outward sign of belonging to the people of God—those who have repented and put their faith in Jesus Christ. You should be baptized if these two conditions describe you: 1) You have repented of your sins and believed on Christ alone for salvation. 2) You have not already been baptized as a believer by immersion.
HOW DO I GET BAPTIZED AT EAST BALSAM?
1. We ask those wishing to be baptized to participate in a baptism class (currently taught two times a year) in which we explain the gospel, core Christian beliefs and our theology of baptism.
2. Meet with the Deacons and Pastor for a baptism interview. Following the baptism class, you will talk to the pastor and the members of the deacon board. They will listen to your story of how the Lord drew you to himself and confirm that your understanding of baptism and salvation is accurate.
3. Get Baptized at a regular Sunday morning service! These baptism celebration Sundays will be held two times a year.
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN GETTING BAPTIZED
1. The pastor meets with baptism candidates 15 minutes before the ceremony to distribute baptism robes, talk through the ceremony, and allow time to get changed.
2. At the beginning of the baptism service, the pastor will say a devotional word about baptism.
3. The pastor will ask the candidates to join him at the front to share their names, their testimonies, and why they want to be baptized.
4. The candidates join the pastor one at a time at the baptismal pool. The pastor will ask three questions of each candidate:
1) Are you now trusting in Jesus Christ alone for the forgiveness of your sins and the promise of eternal life?
2) Do you forsake Satan and all his works and all his ways?
3) Do you intend with God’s help to obey Jesus’ teaching and follow him as your Lord?
5. The pastor will then say these words of baptism and immerse the candidate: “On the profession of your faith in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and in obedience to his command, I now baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”
6. After all the candidates have been baptized, the pastor closes with prayer.
1. Wear dark shorts and a dark shirt to maintain modesty.
2. Bring a change of clothes, towel and bag to hold your wet clothes after you change.
3. A row of seats will be reserved for everyone who is being baptized.
4. Arrive 15 minutes prior to the morning service.